Friday, February 01, 2008

Personalized Spam?

I was reading Sir BB's post entitled A Really Bad Spam, and I could not help but think of the letter I got from someone named David E. Schlup. He wrote to me asking if I was from Bontoc and I answered in the affirmative. (He must have read my profile and watched my videos.) I asked him if he was also from Bontoc, and he wrote me a rather interesting long reply. Here's what he said:

No, I'm Not from Bontoc.
I had a friend from Bontoc.
My friend told me how hard things were for the people of Bontoc, where she was from.
I've lost contact with my friend from Bontoc. I care very much for my friend, even
though I don't know where she is living now or how to contact her. I hope she is
OK!
Because I care about my friend, I would like to help improve the lives of the people of Bontoc, but I live in the United States, I need someone like you, who are living in Bontoc to help me help the people of Bontoc.
I need someone like you to help me understand the needs of the people of Bontoc, So I can think about the best way to help the people there.
I sent one woman money, she said she lives in Naic, Cavite, Philippines, she told me that she would buy food with the money and then travel to Bontoc, and give the food away free to the poorest people living in Bontoc.
I think, maybe the woman from Naic, Cavite, keep the money all for herself.
I need some people, who I can trust who live in Bontoc or live near Bontoc.
Can I trust you to help me?
You would be my Angel there to the Bontoc People, helping them for me.
You would be my eyes and ears, hands and feet in Bontoc, telling me about their needs, and then handing out free food and money for me as I asked you to.
I would want and allow you for your time helping me to keep so much money
for yourself and your family.
What I would want in exchange from you, would be for you to take pictures of the people receiving the food or money, and e-mail me back the pictures.
I found out from Western Union, that they have a location at Lamay MiniMart in Bontoc Public Market Building.
Any Money I sent you to give away free or buy food for the poor, you could pick up at Lamay MiniMart.
If God leads me to believe that I can trust you, and if God provides me the extra money to send you, then I would be trying to help the people of Bontoc, with your help at least once every month, then in the future, if it be God's will, then I would be sending money more often.
I hope you will be able to and want to help me help the people of Bontoc, and I hope I'll be able to completely trust you.
My friend's name, who was from Bontoc is Angie Q. Laca, you might know her family living there in Bontoc.
My Name is David E. Schlup
My e-mail address which is the best way to stay in contact with me is davideschlup@yahoo.com

He was thorough. He knew that there is a Western Union in Bontoc and also where it is located. He even used someone else's name, possibly an Ifontok. His letter touched me very deeply, so deep that it moved me to write him a short scathing reply. I think it was the nastiest email I ever sent to anyone. *sigh*

6 comments:

Wil said...

I don't think it's Spam. If it is, then the sender is really good. :D But maybe he just wanted to get a hold of his friend, Angie. Who knows? His email is very unusual. Spammers usually want you to deposit money and they'll pick it up. He's doing the opposite. Parang reverse-spam. hehe. Why don't you email him again and ask if he found someone to help him. ;)

Anonymous said...

hi there... i'm managing a site about naic, cavite... i came across your blog and was surprised that a woman from our place was allegedly folling someone... it will be a big favor, hope you can give me the email add of the person that you are emailing now... only if it is ok... would just wanna ask him some questions about the incident that he had with that woman... thanks.. my email: njb4393@hotmail.com

G said...

pabasa ng nasty email mo!? lol

oo nga, may point si Wil! bukod dun sa mukhang ang alam niya sa mga IFontok eh bahagya nang makakain (na siyempre parang insulto) eh ok yung sulat niya! it's either wala siyang magawa sa buhay o totoo siya... kaya lang agree din me sa'u, kase talagang parang di naman kapanipaniwala yung ganyan!

Anonymous said...

He can be a croc! Slowly but surely wooing your trust. These kinds of people remind me of the ever so trusting little girl despite knowing snakes are vile. We all know the end part.
Ms Layad, on the other hand, email him again and politely ask him to send you the money at your address and see what happens. I said "politely" coz you already whacked him with that "short nastiest email" you expressed. Agree with Ms Ganda, pakibasa pls!
Katakot pala ni Ms Layad pag magalit, hehe....Cheers to you and goodghealth to all...

G said...

ay opo, tru! pag nagalit si layad, lumalabas ang pagkabruha!

hehe, sis! pwera bwisit! wala lang akong magawa sa dami ng dapat gawin!

indee, mabait yan si layad,kaya nga layad kase full of layad! odb?(
o bka di ko pa nakitang nagalit!:)

Shalom!

Layad said...

Hi Wil, it may not be spam; it may be something else like scam ehehehe... Nagrhyme pa!

Anonymous, he included his email add. You can email him.

Hehehe... Tama ka jan! But it's too late, Sir TB! I already whacked him too much with that nasty email. I think I hit him rightly cos he never wrote back. Wonder why... =D

Hi sis, totoo naman na bruha ako pag nabwisit/nagalit. I mean for this instance, come on, sino ba naman ang baliw na basta na lang magbibigay ng pera, di ba? Unless of course may ulterior motive. Kaya ang sabi ko dun sa opening sentence ng nastiest email ko: 'Its either you are a scum bag or an idiot.' Ayun, from that alone, alam mo na tono ko. *sigh ulit*